Remaining Bidders Submit 2018 Youth Olympic Games Candidature Files to IOC

The five cities in the running to stage the Youth Olympic Games in 2018 were all expected to have met today's deadline to deliver candidature files to the International Olympic Committee.

Medellin (Colombia), Buenos Aires (Argentina), Rotterdam (Netherlands) and Glasgow (Scotland) all sent bid officials along with their documents to IOC headquarters in Lausanne, while it is understood that Guadalajara (Mexico) mailed its file last week.

Poznan withdrew from the race last week when politicians in the Polish city refused to guarantee the release of funds, which forms a key part of the candidature file.

An IOC working group will analyse each city’s file, and submit a report to the IOC executive board, which will will announce a shortlist at a meeting on February 12 and 13, 2013.

Following further assessment and video conferences with each shortlisted candidate city, a report will be submitted to the IOC members, who will select the host city at their meeting in Lausanne on July 4.

Juan Camilo Quintero Medina, chief executive of the Medellin 2018 bid, who submitted the file to the IOC in Lausanne today, said: "We believe the strong technical documentation and the concrete guarantees we submitted today will give IOC members and future YOG competitors the confidence that Medellín can host excellent, unique Youth Olympic Games in 2018. The entire government and its institutions have provided more than 170 guarantees as part of their commitment to stage the Games in Medellín."

In addition to meeting all the technical requirements of the IOC, Medellin 2018 said its candidature file details the transformation of the region "into a vibrant, safe city which offers event hosting capability and sport participation for all citizens in modern, sustainable venues."

Up until 20 years ago, Medellin was known as one of the world's most dangerous cities, a result of an urban war set off by drug cartels at the end of the 1980s.

The Buenos Aires 2018 delegation, led by bid chief executive Martin Gomez Tena, delivered its candidature file on Friday.

Gerardo Werthein, president of the Argentinian National Olympic Committee, said: "One fifth of Argentina’s population is under the age of 18 – we are youthful, confident and energetic country. With Buenos Aires’ vibrancy and dynamic culture we can now help energise the youth of the world by hosting the YOG in 2018."

Mauricio Macri, mayor of Buenos Aires, added: "As a major international capital city, Buenos Aires is a significant economic and commercial hub that can uniquely help the Youth Olympic Games develop and have a long-term sustainable future.

"Young people are the heartbeat of Buenos Aires city and we can encourage the youth around the world to embrace the Olympic ideals by communicating with them in a language they understand."

Meanwhile, a poll by YouGov has revealed that 69 per cent of the UK population believe that staging the 2018 Youth Olympic Games in Glasgow would continue to inspire a generation of young people beyond the London 2012 Olympic Games.

It also revealed that 62 per cent of those asked supported Glasgow’s bid, with that figure rising to 68 per cent in Scotland.

Glasgow 2018 said it is seeking to capitalise on the opportunities created by the London Olympic and Paralympic Games and the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games.

Poznan officially dropped out of the running last week after politicians in the city refused to allocate 77 million zlotys ($24.4 million) from its budget for hosting the event.

Only four city councillors voted in favour of the allocation, compared with 27 against. The allocation would have amounted to 24 per cent of the budget of the games, with the remainder coming from the regional Wielkopolska government and the central government.

The inaugural summer Youth Olympics were held in Singapore in 2010, and Nanjing in China will stage the next edition in 2014.

Sign up to receive e-newsletters