Team Raleigh took the team win at the opening round of The Pearl Izumi Tour Series in Kirkcaldy, Fife, taking the lead of Britain’s unique team based Series.
The Nottingham team filled three of the top six spots on the night to pull on the new red Pearl Izumi Tour Series leaders’ jerseys, sealing victory ahead of Team UK Youth and Rapha Condor JLT.
Yanto Barker headed to the individual victory, his first in the Series, beating Kiwi duo Tom Scully and Mike Northey, who spent the latter half of the race in the leading break with Team UK Youth’s Barker.
The trio, plus Felix English, were at the forefront in a fast paced, action packed race that saw the peloton strung out right from the flag.
Alexandre Blain and Roman Van Uden took the honours at the opening two IG Sprints, before the break made their move, going clear ahead of the third and final IG Sprint. Node4 Giordana Racing’s Northey followed Scully home in the last IG Sprint to secure the points to claim the IG Sprints Jersey.
English was tailed off in the closing laps, suffering from cramp, leaving the leading three riders to fight it out for the win. Barker proved the strongest, heading Scully and Northey with enough time in hand to sit up and celebrate his first ever individual win in The Pearl Izumi Tour Series.
Blain and Richard Lang took the bunch kick for fifth and sixth places to give Team Raleigh their second ever round win in the Series and the first victory of the 2013 edition.
Behind Chris Opie’s 8th and Marcin Bialoblocki’s 14th gave Team UK Youth second, while James McCallum and Ed Clancy’s top twelve placing’s gave Rapha Condor JLT third on the night.
The Pearl Izumi Tour Series, Round One Kirkcaldy, Provisional Results
Round One Kirkcaldy, Individual Result
1) Yanto Barker, GBR, Team UK Youth
2) Tom Scully, NZL, Team Raleigh
3) Mike Northey, NZL, Node4 Giordana Racing
4) Felix English, IRL, Rapha Condor JLT
5) Richard Lang, AUS, Team Raleigh
6) Alexandre Blain, FRA, Team Raleigh
7) Dean Downing, GBR, Madison Genesis
8) Chris Opie, GBR, Team UK Youth
9) James McCallum, GBR, Rapha Condor JLT
10) Alex Peters, GBR, Madison Genesis
Round One Kirkcaldy, Team Result
1) Team Raleigh
2) Team UK Youth
3) Rapha Condor JLT
4) Node4 Giordana Racing
5) Madison Genesis
6) Metaltek - Knights of Old
7) MG Maxifuel
8) Team IG Sigma Sport
9) Team Hope Factory Racing
10) Spin Rotor - Primal - C-Originals
Team Standings, post-Round One
1) Team Raleigh, 10pts
2) Team UK Youth, 9pts
3) Rapha Condor JLT, 8pts
4) Node4 Giordana Racing, 7pts
5) Madison Genesis, 6pts
6) Metaltek - Knights of Old, 5pts
7) MG Maxifuel, 4pts
8) Team IG Sigma Sport, 3pts
9) Team Hope Factory Racing, 2pts
10) Spin Rotor - Primal - C-Originals, 1pt
IG Sprints winner Round One Kirkcaldy: Mike Northey, NZL, Node4 Giordana Racing
Costa Express Fastest Lap Kirkcaldy: Yanto Barker, GBR, Team UK Youth, 2:05.5
IG Sprints standings, post-Round One
1) Mike Northey, NZL, Node4 Giordana Racing, 7pts
2) Tom Scully, NZL, Team Raleigh, 6pts
3) Alexandre Blain, FRA, Team Raleigh, 6pts
Highlights of Round One in Kirkcaldy will be shown on ITV4 at 10pm on Wednesday 15th May, with a repeat at 1pm on Thursday 16th May. Round Two of the Series takes place in Durham on Thursday 16th May.