The Commonwealth Games are to be run in Glasgow next year and organisers are keen to have sufficient numbers of Licenced Security Officers trained in advance for the event.
Edinburgh College will be delivering a Security Industry Authority (SIA) recognised course to cover the Games requirements, which will include:
- SIA Licence checks for PVG/Military Record (if serving overseas during last 5 years) and Identity of candidate to ensure eligibility
- Enrolment on the Level 2 Award for Understanding Stewarding at Spectator Events (AUSSE) which will underpin the knowledge required for gaining the SIA Licence
- Enrolment on the SVQ Level 2 Course in Understanding Spectator Safety
- Application cost (£220) for the SIA Licence
These free courses will delivered at the Edinburgh College Milton Road Campus, and will run regularly between the period 7 October 2013 to June 2014.
The courses will initially run as either:
- 2 x 5 day weeks starting 7 and 21 October, 4 and 18 November 2013, 9am - 4.30pm
- 10 x 2 evenings per week, (Tuesdays and Wednesdays) starting 8 October and 18 November 2013
It is envisaged that the courses will run on a rolling programme basis until June 2014 with 20 candidates in each class.
The completed candidates will gain an industry recognised Qualification and Licence, with details forwarded to the successful contractor for security at the Games – still to be confirmed in October – for inclusion in their interview process for the Games (also to be confirmed once the contractor has been selected).
If you're interested please register your interest at firstname.lastname@example.org